2012 International Parliamentarians' Conference on the Implementation of the ICPD Programme of Action
Istanbul, Turkey May, 2012
UNFPA believes that partnership with parliamentarians is vital to build support for the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Programme of Action and the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs). Because parliamentarians act as the bridge between the people and their government, they are instrumental in advocating for the rights and needs of the people.
By enacting and improving relevant laws and policies, parliamentarians help to create an enabling environment for the achievement of the ICPD goals and the MDGs. They also play a critical role in mobilizing necessary resources.
Although much has been accomplished since the ICPD in 1994, much more has yet to be done. The achievement of the ICPD goals will depend on the political will to fill the gaps in laws, policies and funding. Only with the support of parliamentarians can we build this political will.
Parliamentary Declarations and Commitments
- Bangkok Statement of Commitment
- Arusha Declaration on Reproductive Health Commodity Security
- Wellington Plan of Action
- Dhaka Declaration of Action
- Riga Parliamentary Statement of Commitment
- Declaration of the 2nd Regional Conference of Medical Parliamentarians from Latin America and the Caribbean
- Madrid Declaration
- Lisbon Declaration
- Brasilia Declaration
- Edinburgh Declaration
- N'djamena Declaration of Speakers of African Parliaments
- Parliamentary Declaration for the 38th session of the Commission on Population and Development ( in Spanish only
- 49th Meeting of the Commission on the Status of Women -- "No Step Back - The Whole Platform for Action!"
- Kuala Lumpur Statement
- Strasbourg Statement of Commitment
- Suva Parliamentary Declaration
- Almaty Declaration
- South East Europe Parliamentary Declaration
- San Juan Parliamentary Statement
- Canberra Declaration
- Port of Spain Parliamentary Declaration
- Dakar-Ngor Parliamentary Declaration
- Santiago Parliamentary Statement